I am not a very big turkey fan, but the husband LOVES leftovers and this year my in-laws were in charge of the turkey. They ended up getting a 19 lb turkey for the 4 of us, and two of us were sick so not a whole lot got eaten, which worked out perfect for my husband.
I cannot just eat turkey plain, it is just too dry and flavorless. So tonight I made Creamy Turkey Taquitos (it works great with chicken too). It might look hard to make but they only took me 10 minutes to get into the oven.
· 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
· ¼ cup salsa (green or red, your choice)
· 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
· 1 tsp chili powder
· ½ tsp cumin
· ½ tsp onion powder
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
· 1-2 green onions, chopped
· 2 cup shredded cooked chicken or turkey
· 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
· 10-12 6-inch flour tortillas
· Cooking spray
· Kosher salt
· 1 pack (1oz) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
· 1 cup mayo
· 1/2 cup milk
· 2 tbsp lime juice
· 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
· 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
· hot sauce, to taste
Preheat oven to 425˚ F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic, cilantro, green onions, chicken and shredded cheese. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
Briefly heat the tortillas in the microwave to make them soft enough to roll easily, about 20-30 seconds. Place a tortilla on a work surface. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling mixture down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling. Place seam-side down on baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling, spacing the assembled taquitos evenly on the baking sheet. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. Don’t be tempted to skip this part, it adds a very nice touch. Bake 15-20 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
To make the sauce, put everything in the blender and blend until smooth ( I just use a fork and stir). Place in bowl and refrigerate until ready. Make it several hours ahead of time to allow it to thicken. Serve with warm taquitos and enjoy!
* These would work great for a freezer meal. To freeze before baking, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and chill the assembled taquitos 30-60 minutes. Transfer to a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. To bake from the freezer, simply add a few additional minutes to the original baking time, until the filling is warmed through.
I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did here tonight, they went fast!