I have a large popcorn machine so I used 1 1/2, 6 oz bags. (It is too much caramel for one batch and not enough for two.) If you don’t have a popcorn machine that is fine. Use 4 bags of popcorn that are not buttered. (You could bump it up to 5 if it is still too caramel-y for your taste.)
Caramel Apple Popcorn
What you need:
- 2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (5 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 apples
- sea salt (optional)
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and sweetened condensed milk together over medium-high heat in a saucepan
- Stir nearly constantly (It won’t burn if you leave it for just a second, but try to do it constantly.)
- If you have a candy thermometer heat to 270-290 and remove from heat. If not (I dont!) heat until it looks thoroughly combined and have a small glass of cold water nearby. Take small spoon-fulls and drip it into the cold water. If it forms in hard but pliable threads, it is done.
- Take off stove.
- Cut apples into small pieces. Put them in a bowl with cold water and a few pinches of regular salt. Let them sit for about 5 minutes. (This preserves the color of the apples without the lemon juice taste!)
- Cook popcorn.
- Drain apples and pour them onto a hand towel. Rub them around to dry them.
- Pour popcorn into a LARGE bowl. Cover in caramel and stir. Add apples and stir. If you love it, leave it. But if you would like you can add a few pinches of sea salt (to taste) at the end and stir to combine.